Ingredients (for 4)
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1.5 lbs ground turkey
1 15.5 oz can light or dark organic kidney beans
1 8 3/4 oz can organic sweet corn
Taco Spice Mix
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 large flour tortillas
Red onions, and red, green, and yellow peppers, cooked to personal choice for garnish
Fresh tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and guacamole for garnish
- Bake tortilla shells at 350F for approximately 15 minutes, until golden brown. If you prefer a crisp crunch to your tortilla shell, lightly spray it with cooking spray after pressing it into the taco shell pan.
- Combine garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, ground red pepper, cinnamon, onion powder, and kosher salt in a small bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Heat oil in a large saute or frying pan.
- If using, cook diced red onion and colored peppers in oil first, allowing to brown and caramelize slightly.
- Add turkey and spice mixture. Stir often, until ground turkey is completely browned. Add beans and corn directly to turkey without draining. The liquid in each can will provide a small amount of "gravy" so that the taco meat does not dry out. It also adds flavor and richness. Continue to cook until beans and corn are also heated through.
- Allow ground turkey to simmer on low while you prepare the garnish: chop lettuce and tomato, shred cheese, and ready your bowls for assembly.
- Line the bottom of each taco shell with a layer of lettuce. Add taco meat mixture directly on top, then peppers and onions if desired, followed by the fresh vegetables, cheese, guacamole, and sour cream if you choose.
You can also simply add lettuce and taco meat to each shell, and create a buffet of toppings for your guests to choose from and assemble their own taco salads. Delicious and