12 egg whites
1 ½ tsp cream of tartar
1 ½ cups sugar (divided)
1 ½ tsp vanilla
½ tsp almond extract
1 cup sifted cake flour
¼ tsp salt
Fruit or frosting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until they look foamy. Add ¾ cup sugar, 2 tbsp at a time, until sugar is dissolved and whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks.
- Sift together flour, remaining sugar and salt. Sift about ½ cup of the flour mixture over whites and gently fold until the flour disappears. Repeat with the other ½ cup of flour mix.
- Pour into angel food pan and gently cut through batter with metal spatula.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool for 1 to 1½ hours.
- Top with fruit, whipped cream or frosting.