½ cup shortening
1 tsp butter flavored extract
1 ½ cups sugar
4 tbsp red food coloring
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp salt
2 ½ cups sifted all purpose flour
1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
½ cup butter
8 oz cream cheese
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven 350°. Grease and flour 2 9” round baking pans.
- Cream together butter flavoring, shortening, sugar, and eggs.
- Combine food coloring and cocoa to make paste and add to shortening mix.
- Combine the buttermilk, salt, baking soda and vinegar and add to the mix. Slowly add in the flour.
- Pour batter into greased pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Frost when cooled.
- For frosting: Combine butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract.