Yields 3 dozen.
3 cups cake flour, sifted
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
¾ teaspoon baking soda
9 ounces unsalted butter, softened
2 ¼ cups sugar
5 large eggs, plus 3 egg yolks, room temperature
2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12 ounces unsalted butter, softened
1 pound confectioner’s sugar, sifted
½ teaspoon vanilla
- Mix together dry ingredients. In separate bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time, being sure to beat after each addition.
- In another bowl mix together buttermilk and vanilla.
- Alternate adding dry and wet ingredients to butter mixture, ending with dry.
- Pour into paper-lined muffin cups, about 2/3 full.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 350°, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- For frosting: beat butter on high until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed. Add in powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add in vanilla and beat until smooth. Frost onto cooled cupcakes.