Makes 2 dozen.
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter (softened)
1 ½ cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
½ cup milk
½ cup orange juice
2 tsp grated orange zest
1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp grated orange zest
Liquid orange food color (optional)
To garnish: use thin strips of orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- Mix butter, sugar, baking powder, vanilla, orange juice and zest until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each is added.
- Slowly mix in flour and milk, alternating between flour and milk. Spoon mixture into muffin cups.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing.
- For frosting: Beat all ingredients until soft peaks form. Tint with food coloring (if desired), frost and garnish cupcakes.