2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon ground ginger
1 stick unsalted butter (softened)
½ cup brown sugar
1 ¼ cups maple syrup
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup pecans or walnuts (finely chopped)
1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
1 3oz. package cream cheese (softened)
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
¾ cup maple syrup
¾ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
- Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ginger. Reserve.
- Beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add in eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Mix in flour mixture, in thirds, alternating with buttermilk. Stir in nuts.
- Fill muffin cups with batter and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting: Beat together, for 3 minutes, the butter, cream cheese, brown sugar and salt until fluffy.
- Add in maple syrup and vanilla.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar, increase mixer speed to high, and beat for about 1 minute.
- Let chill 1 hour before frosting.
- If desired, after frosting, create dimple in frosting with back of spoon and fill with maple syrup.